Camping is fun as it is your opportunity to break away from the hectic routine of city life. Imagine being able to breathe the fresh air while at the same time releasing and submitting yourself completely to nature. Also adults, kids also enjoy going camping outdoors. However if your camping trip takes too long, they might get bored after a few days away from their television and computer. That could spell disaster. Do not fret though, below are 10 camping activities that would certainly keep them entertained and occupied.
1. Get wet and go splashing. If you can not find a good swimming spot, normally most of the camping parks would suggest where you could find a good and safe spot for you to swim, either a big lake or a small brook. Some of them may have their own swimming pools. Avoid the swimming pool at all costs and go swimming in a lake amidst nature. The experience that you'll get is indescribable. Some camping parks would offer a boat rental service, where you could rent a boat or canoe for a small fee. Your kids will have a blast. A word of caution, never leave your kids swimming by themselves. Be watchful at all times.
2. Rent a bike and go biking together. Most camping sites have cycling trails for you and your family to explore. Be adventurous. Riding bicycles is very enjoyable as you are able to enjoy the beautiful scenery. Ride slow and make sure that everyone is not left behind. Bring a map with you and plan your biking trip adventure before making the trip so that you know exactly where you are heading and where you want to be. Plan your time properly, so that you would be able to make the whole trip and back to your camp before it gets dark.
3. Go bird and animal watching. Most forest parks and camping sites have brochures or leaflets about the different types of animals that can be found around the area that are worth watching and to look out for. A fun thing to do is to buy books on wild animals before your camping trip and play a game with your children and see who can spot the animals first. Just be sure that you keep your children at a safe distance.
4. Play outdoor games such as tug-o-war or the classic sack race or just plain tag. Children love these games, especially when they're playing these games in the woods. Make sure that you are playing in a clear area to avoid unwanted accidents and also avoid making loud noises that might disturb other campers and especially the wildlife.
5. Go on a scavenger hunt. Who does not love to go on such quests and adventures. What's good about a scavenger hunt is that it involves the physical, which means you'll get yourself and your kids to exercise while having fun at the same time. Prior to the game, just warn the kids on the type of things that they should avoid, such as poison ivy, sumac, oak and other prickly plants that might be lurking in the woods. Also, you have to be sure that you teach your kids how to read maps. That could also be a different game and will be discussed below.
6. Teach your kids how to read maps and compasses. Educate them on the importance of navigation and explore the forest with them using the maps and compasses. Show them the location that they are at now on the map and where you guys are going. Get them to notice anything significant on your path, such as a tree with a weird shape or something that is out of the ordinary to identify. This should go hand in hand with your scavenger hunt.
7. What's camping without a campfire? This is a must to every camper out there. Your camping experience would not be complete without a campfire. This should be done at the end of the day before you go to sleep. Telling each other scary stories and jokes is recommended. Also, do not forget to bring a guitar and sing songs around the campfire. Other activities you can do around the campfire is to play word games and riddles while roasting your favorite marshmallows and hotdogs.
8. Another night activity that you can do is to watch the stars in the sky. This is both fun and educational. Get everyone to lie on an open field and appreciate the free light show in the sky. You can also bring a star chart and try to discover the famous constellations and other heavenly bodies. If you're lucky, you might catch a shooting star. Do not forget to make your wish though.
9. This next game is frowned upon by some campers, but you should bathe in the rain when it rains. This is recommended if the weather is not cold. Otherwise you might get sick. It's sort of depressing when it rains when you are out camping. Rather than complaining about it, take the opportunity to have fun in the rain and enjoy mother earth's natural shower. Not recommended when there is thunder and lightning.
10. Just simply enjoy the moment and relax. It might not be a big hit with the kids but it is the most appropriate time to bond with your family and enjoy everyone's company. Take your time to enjoy the nature, it's not everyday your family get to enjoy this holiday.
There are many other outdoor activities that you could enjoy doing when you go out camping. By no means that the 10 activities discussed above are complete. The most important thing to remember is to enjoy your time with your family. It's not everyday that you get this kind of opportunity. So, enjoy!